Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Hairdos

I'm in the process of learning how to French braid. I never learned when I was little, but I always envied those girls who came to school with a pretty braid or two down the back of their head.


So with a little help from You Tube I've started practicing on Laine. I can't get it very tight, but each time looks a little better. This hairdo came when I tied one side back so I could work on the other. Penny decided he liked the funky pigtails better - so I did both that way!

Any tips on how to hold the hair tight without getting it all tangled together? I feel like I need a third hand!

6 comments:

The Morginskys said...

i love the pigtails! that was my favorite style to do with maggie when her hair was shorter! too cute! i think laine's hair might be too fine to get it real tight....or you definitely need a third hand!

Betsy said...

i have a hard time getting catherine's tight too and i've been doing french braids since i was little. sometimes putting hairspray on it beforehand helps a little. other than, just practice. i do like the funky pigtails too :)

lisa said...

i love that other moms have already posted their ideas. with mya's french braids, i wet her hair before i began. the hair stays much tighter when it's wet. good luck!

Emily M. said...

Ditto--if hair is really fine, doing it wet is easier because it doesn't slip. Hair is also easier when it's dirty--two or three days after washing--because the oils help it stick together better. And practice makes perfect...you'll get better at holding hair tight between fingers as you do it more. =)

Kimberley said...

Wow...haven't done this in awhile. And, alas, no girls to practice on for me...yet? Wet hair helps, yes. I just always pulled it *really tight* & wrapped a finger tightly around each strand I wasn't weaving in, being sure to keep the strands as far apart from each other as possible (one between pinky & 4th finger);the other between thumb, 1st & 2nd finger.It usually hurt...
Hmmm--I'm not sure that was helpful at all to you. But, I did enjoy reliving the moment! Braid on!

Julie said...

Fun! My girls won't sit still long enough for me to braid - Yea for Laine for doing that! Did you even know that I read your blog??? :)

Julie Bauer