Friday, October 15, 2010

Busy week at school

Laine has had several fun activities at school this week. As I mentioned before she went to the fire station on Wednesday. She had a blast! She came home talking all about climbing on the fire truck and seeing the flashing lights. I asked if any of the firefighters wore their uniform and she said, "No, they weren't fighting." So cute! Then I clarified my question and she said one of the men put on the full outfit - helmet, jacket, boots, etc.


Laine came home with several souvenirs, including this fire hat and whistle. Another highlight to the field trip was getting to wear her new Covenant Christian School uniform shirt. So glad she enjoys the simple things!


Today was "Grandparents' Day" at school, but since our family is so far away Mead and I came as Laine's "special visitors" instead. Mead was in heaven, trying to be like one of the big kids. She joined Laine on her carpet square for story time and colored her own picture in the classroom afterwards. I think she'll be ready for school in a couple years when it's her turn!


Part of Grandparents' Day was a special chapel presentation. The pre-K class was first on the platform, performing two songs with hand motions. Laine has been singing the songs and doing the motions at home the past few weeks, but when it came time to do it up front she was still as a statue. Notice all the other kids doing the motions - Laine remained exactly as she is here the whole time! I think she was star struck - so much to see and take in. Who has time for hand motions and singing?!

We asked Laine afterwards if she had a good time on the platform and she very enthusiastically said, "Yes!" You'd never know by today's performance that Laine really is a high-energy, hard-to-pin-down kind of girl. Glad she had fun, singing or not!